Rellenong bangus or relyenong bangus (Stuffed Milkfish) is a very special Filipino dish because of the amount of work involved in cooking. Cooking process itself involves several processes, preparing the vegetables and fish. Removing the fish meat leaving the fish skin intact, steaming, de-boning, flaking, marinating, stuffing and frying.
1 large size bangus
1 onion, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small size carrot, small cubes
1 box raisins (optional)
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 raw egg, large
1 tsp vetsin (optional)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 green bell pepper, chopped finely
2 tbsp flour
cooking oil for frying
ham, finely chopped
Rellenong Bangus Cooking Instructions:
- Scrape fish scales. Clean the fish.
- Gently pound fish to loosen meat from the skin.
- Use flat side of a knife in pounding.
- Break the big bone at the nape and on the tail.
- Insert the end of the handle of an aluminum kitchen turner (sandok) through the fish neck.
- Gently scrape down the handle between the meat and the skin.
- Scrape down to the tail, going around and on the other side of the fish.
- If you feel the meat is entirely separated from the skin, remove the handle, squeeze and push out meat (with the big bone), starting from the tail going out through the head. This way, you will be able to push out the whole meat without cutting an opening on the skin.
- Marinate skin and head of the fish with soy sauce and calamansi juice. Set aside.
- Boil fish meat in a little water.
- Drain. Pick out bones. Flake meat.
- Saute garlic until brown.
- Add onion and tomatoes.
- Stir in fish meat, carrot, and pepper.
- Season with salt, vetsin, ground pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add raisins.
- Transfer cooked mixture to a plate.
- Cook, then, add raw egg and flour.
- Fill in mixture in bangus skin.
- Wrap bangus in wilted banana leaves or aluminum foil. Fry.
- Cool before slicing.
- Garnish with sliced fresh tomato, spring onions or parsley.
- Serve with catsup.
Rellenong Bangus (Stuffed Milk Fish) Recipe,
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected and Monitored by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Chicken Pastel Recipe (Chicken Casserole Baked in a Crust) >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>