Last Updated on
How to make Ube Leche Flan
Ube Leche Flan Recipe – Leche Flan is a famous dessert here in our country. This dessert is actually the Filipino version of the crème caramel from the region of Europe. Most of the time, we prepare this dessert when there’s a special occasion such as birthdays, festivals, reunions, etc.
Leche Flan is a crowd favorite, well how can it not be when it is a sweet and melt-in-your-mouth dessert that is extremely easy to make. It’s basic ingredients are milk, eggs, vanilla and caramelized sugar. But for this dessert, instead of going the usual recipe of a basic Leche Flan, we will be putting our twist on it by adding Ube.
Ube, or called Purple Yam for most countries in the world, is a versatile ingredient that can be used in various desserts, may it be cakes, toppings, ice cream, sticky rice, jams, candies and many more. Filipinos use Ube in a lot of our desserts that, just like Leche Flan, we see it on our dining tables often during special occasions.
What better way to make a special occasion more exciting than by combining two classics desserts that have flavors that mesh well together.
Learn the simple way of making Ube Leche Flan Recipe below.
Watch this video on how to make Ube Leche Flan:
Ube Leche Flan Ingredients and Procedure:
Ube Leche Flan Recipe
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 can 300ml Alaska Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 can 370ml Alaska Evaporated Milk
- 1-2 tbsp. Ube Powder
- 1-2 drops of violet foor color optional
- 6 tbsp. Sugar 2 tbsp. for each Llanera
You Also Need:
- 3 medium Llanera & Foil to cover
For the Caramel:
Divide sugar into 3 medium Llanera’s about 2 tbsp. each.
- Heat Llanera with sugar over low heat until sugar turns into honey color or golden brown.
- Let it cool, repeat process until done with 3 and set aside until needed.
- Bring 1.5 liters of water into a boil and turn heat to low. If you don’t have an aluminium foil to cover the Llanera, make sure you cover the Lid with a cloth to catch all the water drippings. This is will prevent your Leche Flan from becoming watery.
For the Custard:
- In a mixing bowl, combine egg yolks, condensed milk, evaporated milk and mix well. Add Ube powder mix well, at this point you can add violet food coloring if needed. (You can also use 1 tbsp. Ube extract or ¼ cup Ube Halaya).
- Strain custard mixture at least twice and divide into3 prepared Llanera’s.
- Cover with an aluminium foil and steam over low heat for about 25-30 minutes.
- To make sure it’s cooked, make a test, insert bamboo skewer in the center if it comes out clean, fire off.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let it cool completely.
- Refrigerate Leche Flan to firm a little bit and for easy transfer later on.
- Run a knife at the edge of Llanera and flip your Flan on a serving plate or plastic container.
- Serve and Enjoy!
This delicious Ube Leche Flan will surely make your dessert table more exciting.
Other Leche Flan Recipes: