How to cook Kalabasa Leche Flan
Kalabasa Leche Flan Recipe is another popular Filipino sweet delicacy made with a healthy twist. This recipe was brought to the Philippines since the Spanish colonization and the name “leche” means milk. Leche flan is a custard cake, traditionally made with lots of egg yolks which are known to have high cholesterol that is not good for our health.
Kalabasa Leche Flan is a nutritious alternative to the usual leche flan because squash or kalabasa is added in this dessert. Squash is an excellent source of Vitamin A and C, low in calories and has dietary fiber so it helps balance the fat that you get from the egg yolks. As we know, most kids are not fond of eating veggies. This is the perfect way to encourage them to eat healthy foods. It would even surprise them to know that they have actually eaten a dessert with vegetables.
Kalabasa Leche Flan Ingredients:
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup Kalabasa “squash”, boiled and mashed
- 1 can (218 g) condensed milk
- 1 box (250ml) fresh milk or evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 10 tbsp. sugar
- 4 tbsp. water
Kalabasa Leche Flan Instructions:
- Prepare steamer with a litre of water on a medium heat and cover with lid. Prepare a couple Llanera’s or any deep tins, then divide sugar and water on both tins.
- Heat Llanera on a low fire one at a time until sugar starts to melt, dissolved and syrupy. Turn off the heat when the caramel syrup turns light brown.
- Tilt the tin around to coat all sides and continue with the other Llanera and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl combine egg yolks, eggs, mashed kalabasa and whisk. Add condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla extract and continue to whisking until combined.
- Use a strainer and a ladle to transfer kalabasa mixture into the tins to get rid of lumpy bits.
- Steam for about 30 minutes with a cloth under the lid, to catch water drippings and avoid flan from soggy. Check with a toothpick if it comes out clean your done.
- Fire off, transfer on a wire rack and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes before transferring to a plate and loose edges with a knife for easy transfer to avoid flan from breaking.
The kids love the taste of Kalabasa Leche Flan Recipe.