Last Updated on
How to cook Mini Leche Flan
If there’s such a thing as mini-cakes and mini-cupcakes, would you believe that there is also mini leche flan?
There are a lot of variations of a “flan” all around the world, but here in the Philippines we call a flan, a “leche flan” because the recipe we have is similar to the Spanish version of a flan but it is a lot heavier which soothes our own Filipino taste preference.
The great thing about a leche flan recipe is that it requires minimal ingredients and minimal effort to do. While this dessert is being steamed, you can also opt to multitask. You can start prepping or cooking your other planned meals. Or if you want you can just rest.
This incredibly soft and creamy custard Mini Leche Flan Recipe is always a great choice as a dessert for any type of occasion.
And you will no longer have that problem to force yourself to finish a dessert because this recipe is modified to create mini leche flans, big enough to fulfill your sweet tooth cravings but not big enough to make you force feed yourself.
Mini Leche Flan by Filipino Recipes Portal
Mini Leche Flan Recipe
- 24 2oz. mini-Puto Molds or any similar Tart Molds
- 2 tsp. sugar + ½ tsp. water each mold
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 300ml can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup evaporated or fresh milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Put 2 teaspoons of sugar and ¼ teaspoon of water on each Puto molds. Let it dissolve over low heat until it begins to bubble and the syrup turns into light brown. Continue making caramel until you’re done and turn off the heat. Set aside and let it cool down and harden.
- To make the leche flan mixture, in a mixing bowl, mix egg yolks, condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla essence and mix until well combined. Strain leche flan mixture to get rid some lumps and air bubbles. Gently pour the mixture on top of caramel until 2/3’s full, continue until you’re done filling.
- Put in a preheated steamer over low heat and let it steam for 15-18 minutes. Steam Mini-Leche Flan by batches, time depends on how large your steamer is. (I had mine steamed in 3 batches, 8 per load.)
- You can tell when your Leche Flan is cooked by inserting a toothpick and it comes out clean you’re done. Let it cool at room temperature or refrigerate for 20 minutes. To serve, run a thin knife around the edges of the mini molds to loosen the flan. Invert the molds on a serving plate and serve as a dessert or toppings.
This creamy and delicious Filipino Dessert Mini Leche Flan Recipe is very easy to prepare and great for any occassions.