Last Updated on March 16, 2023 by Ed Joven
How to cook Tuna Bread Pie or Tuna Bread Empanada
Have you tried snacking on Tuna bread pie? This bread pie is currently one of the favorite merienda or snacks in Filipino homes. It’s actually a family favorite because it’s an easy homemade recipe every mom can try. Just follow this tuna bread pie recipe and enjoy a delectable snack no matter what time of day.
The inspiration behind this alternative recipe is the tuna bread pie from the popular food chain Jollibee so that kids can enjoy this yummy treat even while at home. Sometimes, it’s not available, and it takes months before you can order this again from Jollibee. So making your own tuna pie is the best way to satisfy your cravings.
You don’t need to bake the pie when using this recipe at home. The ingredients you need are tuna, onion, bell pepper, mayonnaise, cheese, white bread, eggs, panko bread crumbs, and cooking oil. It’s easy to make a snack that your kids will surely love, just like the original one from their favorite food chain. To achieve more flavor, you can add some vegetables and spicy tuna for a tastier Tuna Bread Pie.
If you have stocked on more canned goods, especially tuna, then this tuna bread pie recipe is the perfect snack you can make at home for the whole family. It’s a healthy choice in terms of eating canned goods because you can add some veggies and other organic ingredients. This Tuna Pie brings a new flavor to your typical bread pies sold in the market.
So, are you ready to make your own tuna bread pie?
Ingredients and Cooking Procedure of Tuna Bread Pie:
Tuna Bread Pie Recipe | Tuna Bread Empanada (No Bake)
- 1 can 155g Spicy Tuna in oil, drained
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 cup bell pepper
- 3 tbsp Mayonnaise
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 pcs sliced cheese
- 6 slices of white bread
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup cooking oil for frying
~ How to Prepare ~
- Heat the pan and add spicy tuna in oil.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and saute.
- Let it simmer over low heat until tuna dries, then transfer in a bowl and let it cool.
- Flatten the bread and trim the sides or cut the bread with an empanada cutter.
- Repeat the process for six slices of bread and set aside. Add salt and pepper and beat the eggs.
- Add three tablespoons of mayonnaise, then mix.
~ Time to Assemble our Tuna Bread Pie ~
- Place bread on top of empanada molder.
- Add sliced or grated cheese, then top with a tablespoon of Tuna mixture.
- Brush egg wash around the edge.
- Close empanada molder and press firmly to seal the bread.
- Please don't put too much filling so it won't tear the bread.
- Repeat the process until done.
- Dip empanada in egg wash and coat with bread crumbs.
- Repeat the process until done.
~ Time to fry ~
- Heat the oil over medium-low.
- Fry tuna bread in batches until light golden brown.
- Drain in a paper towel and repeat until done.
- Your Tuna Pies are best to serve when it still hot.
- High heat will burn the bread quickly and low heat will make your bread oily.
- You can also use potato & carrots but we like bell pepper because it lessens the fishy taste.
Note: This recipe serves 6 Tuna Bread Pie.
We use corned beef as the main ingredient in this dish, but you can use any canned goods you have, such as sardines and meatloaf. To add healthy nutrients your Tuna Bread Pie, you will need one cabbage, a small carrot, and a medium tomato. Try to slice the vegetables as thinly as possible, but you can have thicker slices for starters.
- Corned Beef Empanada Recipe
- Ham and Cheese Empanada Recipe
- Vigan Empanada Recipe
- Filipino Chicken Empanada Recipe