Last Updated on February 23, 2023 by Ed Joven
How to cook Tuna Bicol Express
Perhaps, Bicol Express is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of some spicy and flavorful pinoy dish. This local food is cooked in coconut milk, making it one of the special dishes that not only bicolanos love. If you want to enjoy a creamy and spicy specialty for lunch or dinner, you can try this tuna bicol express recipe. It’s truly one of the best Filipino recipes you should try right now.
The main ingredient for this special recipe is tuna belly and coconut milk. You may use concentrated coco milk in order to create a creamier flavor for your tuna bicol express. Other ingredients you need to prepare this classic pinoy dish with a twist include bagoong, green chili, onion, garlic, and Century Tuna. It’s a healthy option to use canned tuna chunks in oil, but you may also use fresh tuna belly to suit your taste.
This recipe is so easy to make, even for those who haven’t cooked bicol express yet. All you need is saute the garlic and onion before adding your tuna. Then saute for at least 5 minutes until the flavor is achieved. Pour the coco milk and simmer for at least 10 minutes. Add the shrimp paste and green chillies, you can also add Baguio beans if you want. That’s it, you are now ready to make this tuna bicol express recipe without any professional experience.
It is soft, chewy, sticky, with oozing chocolate in every bite. The desiccated coconut creates a perfect contrast flavor to the recipe, and makes it more exciting to eat. If you enjoy cooking, and you want to serve or sell this during holidays, start practicing it on your home.
Ingredients and Cooking Procedure – Tuna Bicol Express :
Tuna Bicol Express Recipe
- 2 cans 155g Tuna Chunks in Oil, drained
- 1/2 cup 200ml coconut milk or coconut cream
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 pcs siling haba green chili, sliced
- 2 tbsp bagoong
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the pan over medium heat and add oil.
- Saute Garlic and onion saute for one minute.
- Then add chili, tuna drained flakes, bagoong, and saute
- Pour half can of coconut cream or coconut milk then, let it simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for two more minutes until the coconut milk is thickened.
- Our Tuna Bicol Express is done, and it smells so good!
Other Tuna Recipes:
- Tuna Bread Pie Recipe
- Homemade Tuna Nachos Recipe
- Tuna Pancit Canton Recipe
- Easy Tuna Caldereta Recipe
- Thai Fresh Spring Rolls Recipe