Last Updated on January 23, 2020 by Ed Joven
How to cook Pancit Molo
Pancit Molo Recipe is an authentic Filipino dumpling soup and a specialty of the town of Molo in Iloilo, a well-known district in the province. It is an adaptation of Chinese Wonton soup, and the filling inside the wontons are composed of ground pork and shrimp, then wrapped in wonton or Molo wrapper. Leftover wonton wrappers are cut into strips and drop into the hot broth. Other main ingredients of this soup are chicken meat shred into small pieces, chicken stock, and shrimps. These ingredients should be readily available in the supermarket or sari-sari stores near your location.
Many first-timers always ask this question, “Where is the Pancit?” because despite its “Pancit” name, this Filipino dish has no noodles. People look for the noodle-like component of the soup. The explanation is that the “Pancit” are the Molo-dumplings and Molo-wrappers, which are basically of the same ingredients as any Pancit or noodles.
Pancit Molo is more of a household specialty, there are a hundred and one ways of making Pancit Molo, and the recipe varies from household to household.
If you want to try the authentic Pancit Molo, you must visit “Kap Ising Pancit Molo” in Molo, Iloilo. Locals said they serve the most delicious traditional Pancit Molo of Iloilo.
Ingredients and Cooking Procedure of Pancit Molo :
Pancit Molo Recipe
Pancit Molo Filling:
- 1 cup ground pork
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken meat flaked
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts chopped
- 3 tbsp patis fish sauce
- salt to taste
Pancit Molo Stock:
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 25-30 wonton wrappers
- pepper to taste
- chopped spring onions
- Canola oil for sauteing
To prepare filling:
- Combine ingredients in a bowl but use only 1 tsp green onions, salt to taste, and 1 tbsp patis.
- Set aside the remaining ingredients for the broth.
- Put 1 tbsp of the meat mixture in the center of each wonton wrapper.
- Wrap by folding one side of the wrapper to cover the filling completely, then turning the unfilled sides of the wrapper up so that the dumpling resembles a flower. (The filled portion should be in the center.)
- Cover the dumplings with a dry kitchen towel and set aside.
To make broth:
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until light brown.
- Add chicken stock and the remaining salt and patis from the filling.
- Allow to boil, the drop the stuffed dumplings into the boiling broth.
- Stir the remaining meat mixture into the broth. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Before serving, garnish with chopped spring onions.
Try Pancit Canton
Pancit Molo Recipe is a Filipino dish that resembles the Chinese wanton soup but more delicious and savory.
Recommended Pancit Recipes: