How to cook Laswa
Laswa Recipe is a favorite Ilonggo vegetable soup, it is the equivalent of Bulanglang from Batangas and Dinengdeng from Ilocos region. Laswa is very simple to prepare, and the vegetable ingredients have to be fresh.
The flavors of the fresh mixed vegetables go together with the shrimp that’s why this soup is flavorful and delicious. Alugbati or Kulitis, Okra, Kalabasa, and Saluyot are must ingredients for this soup and whatever vegetables that are in season.
Laswa Recipe vegetable soup is a healthy dish and very rich in fiber which is very important in our digestion. It is best served while it’s hot and the vegetables are still firm.
Laswa Recipe Ingredients and Cooking Procedure:
- 1/8 kilo diced Kalabasa Squash
- 1/4 kilo Alugbati Malabar Spinach or Kulitis ( Native Spinach )
- 5 pcs Sitaw or Balatong String Beans cut into 2 inches
- 3 pcs Okra cut into wedges
- 1/4 kilo fresh Shrimp shell intact
- 1 pc Talong Eggplant , sliced
- Salt to taste or Fish Sauce Patis
- 2 cloves garlic pound
- 1 Magic Sarap sachet optional
- 6 cups of water
- Bring the water to a boil
- Add the fresh Shrimp
- Once the fresh Shrimp turns pinkish, add the Okra then after two minutes add the Squash.
- When the Squash start to slightly fork tender, add the String beans and Eggplant
- Add half sachet of Magic Sarap ( optional ) then add salt to taste or Patis
- Turn off the heat then add your leafy vegetables, they will get cooked by the residual heat so it won't get overcooked.
- Serve Laswa immediately with Fried fish
Recommended Video Recipe:
Laswa veggie soup is a great side dish for anything fried especially with fried fish.
Favorite Filipino Vegetable Recipes: