Last Updated on
How to cook La Paz Batchoy
La Paz Batchoy Recipe came from the town of La Paz in Iloilo province in the Philippines, hence it is often referred to as La Paz Batchoy. This noodle dish is served in a bowl with crunchy crushed chicharon at the top. La Paz batchoy was first made by the Chinese community who lived in La Paz, Iloilo. Eventually adapted by Filipinos and it became a favorite noodle soup.
Batchoy came from the word “Ba-Chui” means pieces of meat in Chinese. This Filipino noodle dish contains egg noodles, broth cooked slowly with beef, pork and marrow mixed with bagoong or shrimp paste and topped with fresh eggs and crushed Pork Chicharon or Pork cracklings. This flavourful noodle dish is best served while it is steaming hot.
La Paz Batchoy Ingredients and Cooking Procedure:
La Paz Batchoy Recipe
- 1 kilo mami noodles
- 1 medium size onion quartered
- 1/2 head garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp. shrimp paste bagoong
- 1 tbsp. peppercorns crushed
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 10-12 c. beef/pork stock
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- salt to taste
- 250 g. pork
- 150 g. pork liver
- 150 g. shrimps
- 1 pc. chicken breast
- chicharon crushed
- chopped garlic fried
- chopped spring onion
- In a large pot, pour in 10-12 c. of stock (from boiled beef and pork bones) and add all broth ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and blanch shrimp until cooked.
- Remove shrimp from the pot, remove shell and head each shrimp, set aside.
- Add in pork, chicken and liver in the pot, let simmer for 25 minutes or until pork, chicken and liver are tender add more stock if necessary.
- Remove pork, chicken and liver from the pot, drain and let cool.
- Continue simmering the broth in low heat until ready to serve, season with salt to taste.
- Slice the pork, chicken and liver into thin strips and set aside.
- Place noodles in serving bowl and pour strained boiling stock over the noodles. Top with pork, chicken, liver, shrimp.
- Garnish with chicharon, spring onion and fried garlic.
- Serve immediately.
La Paz Batchoy contains egg noodles, broth cooked slowly with beef, pork and marrow mixed with bagoong or shrimp paste and topped with fresh eggs and crushed Pork Chicharon.