Last Updated on November 15, 2014 by Ed Joven
How to cook Cauliflower Tempura
Cauliflower Tempura Recipe is a fun way of eating your veggies. This Japanese inspired veggie snack is very easy to make at the comfort of your own home, though, you have to be careful in making the batter since it can be chewy when you over mix it. To perfect this recipe, the cauliflower and the batter should be cold and the oil temperature must not be too high or too low. When it’s cooked you have to serve it immediately since it is best when it’s still hot and crunchy.
This recipe can also be prepared with any other vegetables according to your preference, such as broccoli, cucumber, carrots and even seafood like squid and prawns. We also have a number of Tempura recipes that you can try out; Pork Belly Tempura, Prawn Tempura, Veggie Tempura, Bangus Belly Tempura and Broccoli Tempura.
Cauliflower Tempura Ingredients:
- 1 medium-sized Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 100 grams All Purpose flour
- 2 eggs, separate the yolks
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- Canola oil for deep frying
- Powdered Salt
Cauliflower Tempura Cooking Instructions:
- Boil the cauliflower in 3 cups of water for about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a colander, rinse using cold tap to stop the cooking process, drain then set aside.
- Put-in the All purpose flour and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.
- Add-in 180 ml. iced water, 2 tbsp vegetable oil and egg yolks into the flour, then whisk to make a batter, whisk well until smooth.
- In a another bowl whisk or beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the Tempura batter.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or a deep fryer.
- Put some of the Cauliflower into the Tempura batter and coat each floret then using a slotted spoon, carefully place it into the hot deep fryer.
- Deep fry the coated Cauliflower until puffy and golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Drain using paper towels and continue until all florets are cooked.
- Sprinkle the Tempura Cauliflower with powered salt then serve with a bowl of chili and soy sauce-vinegar dip.
Cauliflower Tempura Recipe is quick and easy, and it tastes mighty good.