Last Updated on February 17, 2014 by Ed Joven
How to cook Vegetable Tempura
Vegetable Tempura Recipe, the joy of tempura is that you can use any vegetables, just slice thinly. Use only fresh, not reused vegetable oil for tempura. A combination of vegetable, canola or peanut oil can be used. Oil should be heated to and maintained at 350°F. A thick-walled pot will help maintain oil temperature, as will a good deep-frying thermometer.
To maintain its crisp, hot texture, arrange tempura on a warmed decorative platter in light, lofty piles, allowing steam to escape between the pieces. Serve immediately with a small bowl of dipping sauce.
Vegetable Tempura Ingredients:
- 250ml soda water , ice cold
- 150g tempura flour or use plain flour
- Canola oil for frying
- 150g shiitake mushrooms , sliced
- 1 sweet potato , halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 1 aubergine , thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper , cut into squares
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, plus as needed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp minced gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp hot chili sauce, plus as needed
Veggie Tempura Cooking Instructions:
- Mix the sauce ingredients together. Pour the soda water to a bowl, add the flour and lightly mix until just combined.
- Fill a wok or pan a third full with oil and heat. Test the heat by dropping in a piece of bread – if it sizzles and floats to the top, the oil is hot enough.
- Dip the vegetables in the batter and drop into the oil in batches.
- Fry until golden, then drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with the sauce.