Last Updated on May 9, 2014 by Ed Joven
How to cook Broccoli Tempura
Broccoli Tempura Recipe is one of the many variations in tempura recipes – a popular Japanese dish cooked in a batter and then deep fried. This delish appetizer is excellently paired with dipping sauce even for those who do not like veggies a lot; they will certainly love this Broccoli Tempura Recipe.
In cooking tempura, you should always make sure that the temperature of oil is not too low and not too high, the batter should be cold at all times to create a crisp and fluffy tempura. Do not over mix the batter since it causes a dough-like texture in making tempura.
Broccoli Tempura Ingredients:
- 1/4 kilo Broccoli, cut into medium-size florets
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs , separated
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Canola oil for deep frying
Broccoli Tempura Cooking Instructions:
- Cook the Broccoli in boiling water for 2 mins.
- Tip into a colander, rinse under the cold tap, drain well and set aside.
- Put the flour in a large bowl with a pinch of salt.
- Whisk the egg yolks and 175ml iced water together, then whisk into the flour with the oil to make a smooth batter.
- In a separate, clean bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the batter.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or large wok to 190C.
- Coat some of the Broccoli in the batter then use a slotted spoon to carefully lift into the hot oil.
- Deep-fry the Broccoli for 2-3 mins until golden and puffy.
- Drain on paper towel and continue with the rest in batches.
- Sprinkle the Broccoli with salt and serve with a bowl of chili-soy sauce dip or mayonnaise.
Broccoli Tempura Recipe is an easy to cook and delicious appetizer.