How to cook Maja Kalabasa
Maja Kalabasa Recipe is the healthier version the famous dessert, which is known and much loved by every Filipino as Maja Blanca or Coconut Cake. Unlike the traditional maja blanca that is usually white in color, this Maja Kalabasa Recipe is like a golden pudding made with squash, which makes this dessert absolutely nutritious.
This is a great snack for the whole family, particularly for the kids who don’t eat veggies; it is a perfect way to sneak in some healthy ingredients to their dessert without them knowing that they have actually eaten some vegetables. Though, it is also a fun way of introducing the kids to eat healthier and nutritious snack than consuming their favorite junk foods.
Maja Kalabasa Ingredients:
- 2 cups Squash/Kalabasa, peeled, cleaned and diced
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/8 tsp. of salt
- 1 1/4 cups Squash/Kalabasa, mashed
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 3/4 cup of cornstarch
- 2 cans All-purpose Cream (300g)
- 1 can Condensed Milk (300ml)
- 3 tsp. Lime or Calamansi Juice
- 2 tablespoons of Butter
- 1/8 cup Cashews, toasted and roughly chopped for garnish (optional)
Maja Kalabasa Cooking Instructions:
To prepare the kalabasa/squash:
- Using a peeler peel kalabasa, then dice and wash it.
- In a saucepan, place the sliced kalabasa and pour half cup water, add salt.
- Apply heat then boil over medium heat until tender.
- Remove from heat and drain, set aside the kalabasa stock for later use.
- Mash the the squash/kalabasa using a fork until it becomes smooth.
- This can produce 1 1/2 cups, let it completely cool before you store it.
- Put-in a clean plastic container then refrigerate, it has 4 days storage life.
To make the maja kalabasa:
- In a large casserole Combine cornstarch with reserved squash/kalabasa stock and whisk until it dissolves.
- Add-in condensed milk, All purpose cream, calamansi juice and mashed kalabasa then stir.
- Over a low heat, bring to a simmer, make sure to continually stir until it thickens, it will take about 20 minutes.
- When it becomes too thick, that is when the mixture doesn’t easily fall off from your wooden spoon, fire off the heat.
- Add-in the butter and stir to combine the butter with the mixture.
- Grease a 11×7 baking pan then pour the mixture and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle Maja Kalabasa with cashew nuts on top and let it cool completely before slicing it.
- Serve with your favorite soda drink or a hot coffee.
Maja Kalabasa Recipe is a great snack for the kids who don’t eat veggies.