How to cook Filipino Roasted Chicken
Filipino Roasted Chicken Recipe is cooked with almost the same ingredients of Lechon Manok but cooked in the oven, it is similar to rotisserie chicken.
Filipino Roasted Chicken dish can be considered as one of the all-time favorite viand of the Filipinos because it is readily available at practically every street corner in the country, and should I say it is also very flavorful and tasty? What is also distinct about the Roasted Chicken is its scent and aroma which comes from the tanglad (lemon grass), and other blend of spices that only the Filipinos can conceive of.
Filipino Roasted Chicken is a staple in most parties and celebrations in the Philippines, or even just for regular lunches and dinners. Comparably, it is also cheaper than the roast pig.
It is best served with Mang Tomas lechon sauce, a kind of liver sauce and atsara (pickled green papaya). It also goes best with a sauce combining calamansi juice, a local lemon, and soy sauce and chili pepper for that spicy kick.
Roasted Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 (5 to 6-pound) roasting chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heads garlic, cut in 1/2 crosswise
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/2 large Spanish onion, thickly sliced
- 4 carrots cut diagonally into 2-inch chunks
- 2 large Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 6 pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups of lemon grass (tanglad)
Filipino Roasted Chicken Cooking Instructions:
- As soon as you get the chicken home, salt it inside and out, wrap it and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, first preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pat the outside of the chicken dry with paper towels. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken and stuff the cavity with the all the lemon grass (tanglad), garlic and lemon.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place it in a roasting pan just large enough to hold it and the vegetables. Scatter the onion slices, carrots and potatoes around the chicken. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove the chicken to a platter and cover with aluminum foil. Place the vegetables back in the oven and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes.
- When the vegetables are cooked, carve the chicken and place the slices on the platter surrounded by the vegetables. Drizzle some pan juices over the chicken and vegetables.