Last Updated on July 22, 2019 by Ed Joven
How to cook Bukayo
Bukayo Recipe is a Filipino version of coconut candy, and it is consist of strips of mature Buko meat (coconut meat) and dark brown sugar. People believed that Bukayo originates from Lingayen, Pangasinan.
In this version, we added Muscovado sugar to make them taste less sweet. Muscovado is partially processed unrefined sugar with a strong molasses content and flavor. It contains higher levels of various minerals than processed white sugar and is considered by some to be healthier.
Compared to the traditional Bukayo you can buy in the market this one is soft and chewy. If you have diabetes, this Filipino dessert is not suitable for you because of the high sugar content. I highly advise you to consume it in moderation.
Bukayo candies come in different shapes, some make it round and in ball form. Another form of Bukayo is a flat circle shape, and some cut it into a square shape.
Bukayo Ingredients and Cooking Procedure:
In case you have tried to cook this Filipino dessert, please give us feedback below.
- 3 cups Buko meat coconut
- 1 ½ cups Brown sugar
- ½ cup Muscovado sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoon Buko juice or Water
- 3 pcs calamansi optional
- Sesame seeds optional
- Banana leaves
- In a large saucepan, combine Muscovado sugar, dark brown sugar, and the Coconut juice then apply heat and bring to a simmer.
- The fire must be the lowest heat possible and cook for about 1 minute until the all the sugar dissolves.
- Add-in the Buko strings and calamansi juice.
- Mix well, make sure to evenly coat the buko strings with sugar , then cook until the sugar syrup thickens and becomes caramelized, it will take about 15 minutes of cooking.
- When the Bukayo mixture becomes very sticky enough to hold its shape, then you are done.
- Turn off the heat, let it cool for a minute or two, then form the mixture into a flat circle on top of a greased banana leaf, repeat the process until you’re done with the rest of the Bukayo mixture then set aside to completely dry.
- When the Bukayo is completely dry, you can now serve it or store in a jar.
Recommended: Palitaw Recipe
Bukayo Recipe is a sweet delicious Filipino dessert consist of Buko meat strips and dark brown sugar. It is a traditional Filipino candy.