Last Updated on
Try this Lechon Sisig Recipe or Sisig na Lechon Recipe
Sisig is a Kapampangan term which means “to snack on something sour”. It usually refers to fruits, often unripe or half-ripe, sometimes dipped in salt and vinegar. It also refers to a method of preparing fish and meat, especially pork, which is marinated in a sour liquid such as lemon juice or vinegar, then seasoned with salt, pepper and other spices.
Sisig dish originated in Angeles City and has been credited by The Philippine Department of Tourism to Lucia Cunanan of Aling Lucing Restaurant for inventing the Sisig Recipe.
Originally, sisig was made from chopped parts of a pig’s head parts like ears, snout, the brain, etc. Over the years it was reinvented into simple minced meat served on a sizzling platter with chili, liver, onion and seasoned with calamansi and vinegar. Recently, Pinoy chefs have experimented with ingredients other than pork such as chicken, squid, tuna and even tofu. Adding raw egg on the dish while it’s sizzling hot heightens the flavor as well.
Lechon Sisig Ingredients:
- 1/2 kilo pork Lechon ( we used the belly part )
- 4 Medium sized onions, chopped
- 4 finger chili peppers or siling labuyo, chopped
- 2 tbsps vinegar
- 4 pcs calamansi
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp whole black pepper (crushed)
- 1 pc. bay leaf (crushed)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce to taste
- Canola cooking oil for frying
- scallions, sliced
Lechon Sisig Cooking Instructions:
- Cut the Lechon belly into small diced
- Pre-heat the frying pan then add about a tablespoon of Canola oil, then add ginger, onions, garlic, chili peppers
- Saute for 3 minutes until the onions are translucent, add the chopped lechon and stir, then cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, soy sauce, salt and black pepper.
- Prevent the Lechon Sisig from sticking to the frying pan by constantly stirring. When it turned dark brown then its done.
- To serve, heat a sizzling plate then place the Lechon Sisig on the plate, while sizzling, you may crack an egg on top. The very hot sizzling plate with Lechon sisig will cook the egg.
- Sprinkle the Sizzling Lechon Sisig with lemon juice and chili sauce if you want it spicy.
- Topped with chopped scallions or onion leaves.
- Serve hot.