How to cook Pandan Chiffon Cake
Pandan Chiffon Cake is the Asian version of Angel Cake and it has a very soft cottony texture that would actually melts in your mouth.
Pandan Chiffon Cake is light unlike the traditional cakes where lots of butter, cheese, etc. is being used. It is a delicious, simple and easy to make cake. It makes a very impressive dessert and I always serve it with a hot coffee or vanilla ice cream.
Makes one (9 or 10-inch)
Pandan Chiffon Cake Ingredients :
- 8 eggs, separate egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup liquid vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp. pandan extract** ( see note below )
- 1 cup Self-rising flour
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
Pandan Chiffon Cake Cooking Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, combine coconut milk and pandan extract. Add the 1/4 tsp. of pandan paste (or 1/4 tsp. green food coloring) to mixture if using (using the pandan paste or green food coloring is optional). Set aside.
- With an electric mixer OR by hand, beat the egg yolks, sugar, vegetable oil and vanilla until well combined. Beat in coconut milk/pandan extract mixture.
- Sift the Self-rising flour three times into a large bowl. Make a well in the center of sifted dry ingredients, and whisk egg mixture into the flour mixture.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until firm peaks form. Fold the beaten egg whites into the flour/egg yolk mixture in two batches using a balloon whisk or rubber spatula.
- Gently pour the batter into a 9 or 10-inch (23-25 cm) ungreased tube or angel food cake pan. With a spatula, spread batter to even out top. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F (180 C) oven for 45 minutes or until the cake feels spongy to the touch.
- Remove cake from oven, and carefully invert the pan (upside down) onto a cooling rack. Do not remove cake from pan until completely cooled. Once cake has cooled, run a spatula around the sides and center tube of the pan to release the cake. When you are ready to slice the cake, use a thin sharp knife with serrated blade, and cut with a “sawing” action opposed to slicing through the cake.
- If desired, dust top of cake with confectioners’ sugar, and serve with whipped cream and fresh fruit.
- Store cake at room temperature (covered with foil or plastic wrap, or cover with a glass cake dome) for up to 3 days.
- Pandan Extract can be purchased on the local grocery stores if pandan leaves is not available in your area. In case you have pandan leaves, just blend 10 leaves of pandan in a blender, then extract the juice using a clean cloth.