Last Updated on
How to cook Chicken Pork Adobo
The Filipino Adobo is the name of a popular dish and cooking process in Philippine cuisine that involves meat or seafood marinated in a sauce of vinegar and garlic, browned in oil, and simmered in the marinade.
Adobo has been called the quintessential Philippine stew, served with rice both at daily meals and at feasts. It is commonly packed for Filipino mountaineers and travelers because it keeps well without refrigeration. Its relatively long shelf-life is due to one of its primary ingredients, vinegar, which inhibits the growth of bacteria.
Chicken Pork Adobo Recipe, is a combination of Chicken and Pork that is slowly cooked in vinegar, crushed garlic, bay leaf, black peppercorns, and soy sauce then often browned in the oven or pan-fried afterward to get the desirable crisped edges.
Chicken Pork Adobo Ingredients:
- 1/2 kilo pork, cut in cubes
- 1/2 kilo chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 5 laurel leaves (bay leaves)
- 4 tablespoons of cooking oil or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
Chicken Pork Adobo Cooking Instructions:
- In a big sauce pan or wok, saute’ garlic and onions on cooking hot 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the pork and chicken to the pan. Add 2 cups of water, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, vinegar, paprika and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or when meat is tender.
- Remove the pork and chicken from the sauce pan and on another pan, heat cooking oil and brown the pork and chicken for a few minutes.
- Mix the browned pork and chicken back to the sauce and add cornstarch dissolved in water to thicken. Bring to a boil then simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with the adobo gravy and plain rice.
Adobo Cooking Tips:
- You have the option to add crushed ginger to the onions and garlic when saute’ing. Ginger adds a unique flavor to your pork/chicken adobo.
Enjoy this Chicken Pork Adobo Recipe.