Siopao Recipe is a favorite Filipino snack, consisting of a meat filling inside a steamed rice-flour bun, a larger version of Chinese dumplings. It is usually sold as part of dim sum by Chinese-style restaurants.
Siopao Asado is filled with diced pork or beef cooked in soy sauce (with salt and sugar added to taste); its taste and texture a bit like adobo. Indeed, a good use for leftover adobo is siopao filling.
Siopao Bola-bola is a local term for Chinese-style filling; chopped pork and Chinese sausage baked with egg and flour to a consistency akin to meatloaf.
- 6 cups flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 lb cubed pork loin or chicken thighs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 green onions
- 4 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 t. water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
Siopao Cooking Instructions:
- Siopao Dough:
- Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl, set aside.
- In another bowl dissolve yeast in lukewarm water then add 1 cup of the flour mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Cover with a cloth and let rise 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the white sugar in the boiling water.
- Stir well then let cool to lukewarm.
- Pour into the yeast mixture, then add the rest of the prepared flour mixture.
- Stir to blend well.
- Grease a large bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead for 3 minutes-you want your dough smooth, not sticky.
- Place ball into bowl, turn once and cover with a damp cloth.
- Let rise 2 hours or until doubled.
- Siopao Filling:
- Saute the garlic and onions in a small amount of oil in a wok.
- Add meat and stir fry for 1 minute or until meat is no longer pink.
- Add soy sauce, oyster sauce and brown sugar.
- Pour in the dissolved cornstarch and stir fry quickly until meat is glazed well.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- How to make Siopao:
- Punch down dough and knead on a floured board for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Divide dough and roll each half into a 12Ã—2 inch log.
- Cut each into 12 pieces, making 24.
- Roll each piece into a ball using your hands then rolling it flat into a 3 inch diameter circle.
- Dust with flour if needed to prevent sticking.
- Place 1 slice of egg into center of dough round, then 1 T. of filling with sauce.
- Gather sides of round, pinch together and twist.
- Place pinched side down on parchment paper and place in steamer.
- Repeat until done.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 1 hour.
- Steam Siopao for 20 minutes.
- You can freeze cooked Siopao, simply re-steam for 10 minutes.
Siopao Recipe (Siopao Asado and Siopao Bola-bola),
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Puchero (Pochero) Recipe >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>