How to cook Chicken Mami Noodles Soup
Chicken Mami Noodle Soup Recipe is a popular comfort food in the Philippines; it is made of egg noodles, chicken broth, pieces of sliced chicken, cabbage, fried garlic and green onions. The preparation of the broth is the key to this dish all you need is a lot of chicken bones and you should use a freshly made egg noodles instead of the preserved or dried ones, you can buy this on wet markets.
The history of Chicken Mami soup according to legend is from a Chinese entrepreneur named Ma Mon Luk who introduced and popularized this dish. The name Mami was a combination of his first name “Ma” and “Mie” for noodles. He started selling this on the streets of Manila and eventually he opened his own restaurant.
Chicken Mami Noodle Soup goes well with a side order of Siopao asado.
Chicken Mami Ingredients:
- 2 small chicken breasts
- 2 litres chicken and vegetable stock
- 1 small cabbage
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 large stalk celery
- 1 large onion
- 250 g Miki noodles
- 3 pcs. cloves
- 2 laurel leaves (bay leaf)
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- salt to taste
Toppings and condiments:
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced into 6 sections each
- 3 heads crushed fried garlic (approx)
- 2 stalks spring onion, thinly sliced or chopped
- calamansi slices
- ground black pepper
- fish sauce
Chicken Mami Cooking Instructions:
Note: Cooking will be a bit faster if you have chicken or vegetable stock but it is not necessary. Even it is available, the chicken breasts would still have to be parboiled and if it is not, then the water used to boil the chicken can be used as stock.
- Chop one carrot and a quarter of the cabbage.
- Julienne the rest of the carrots and thinly slice the cabbage.
- In a pot, cover chicken in stock or plain water.
- Season with half a teaspoon of salt, whole peppercorns, 3 cloves, laurel and oregano.
- Add chopped carrots and cabbage. Let it boil till chicken is tender.
- Take out chicken so as not to overcook.
- Debone and return bones to the stock.
- Keep it on a low simmer till serving time.
- In a separate pot, boil around a litre of water.
- Drop the fresh noodles and let it come to a rolling boil.
- Take out the noodles as soon as tender but still with some resistance or al dente.
- Wash the noodles in cold or tap water. Drain.
- In the same pot used to cook the noodles, pour in one or two servings worth of the chicken and vegetable broth, half a cup of the julienned carrots and thinly sliced cabbage.
- Boil for 2-3 minutes then add the noodles and pieces of chicken.
- Pour into bowls as soon as it boils.
- Garnish with the toppings and season with the condiments as desired.
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe: