Last Updated on
Puto Cheese Recipe – Puto is the generic name for a rice cake made from galapong (rice flour), slightly sweetened and steamed. The rice for galapong is not ground dry, but soaked overnight and then ground wet, formerly in large stone grinders. Fermentation takes place during the soaking, and yeast is usually used.
Most of of the Puto Recipes you’ll find on the net are using all purpose flour or baking flour, we used in this recipe is the traditional Rice Flour, so if you like to taste the traditional puto try Pinoy Recipe’s Puto Recipe.
Puto Cheese Ingredients :
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups coconut milk or fresh milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 180g Cheddar cheese
- Mixing bowl
- Muffin pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon or wire whisk
Puto Cheese Cooking Instructions:
- Sift the rice flour, salt, baking powder and white sugar together.
- In a large bowl, add the coconut milk to the sifted ingredients and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Slice the cheddar cheese into thin rectangles.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the muffin pans (greased with butter beforehand), making sure you leave 1/3 space at the top. This is to give the puto space to expand upon cooking, then place the sliced cheese on top of each puto mixture.
- Steam for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- To check if the Puto is already cooked, insert a toothpick into the center of each puto, make that the toothpick must come out clean.