Lengua de gato is great with Ice cream…
The Lengua de gato are tasty goodies and treats to bring at home for your kids and loved ones. These paper-thin buttery cookies are named such because they resemble the tongues of cats. No matter what it looks like, the Lengua de gato recipe are without a doubt tasty and crispy.
Lengua de gato is often seen and sold in supermarkets and terminals as pasalubong. They are usually presented and arranged in a clear plastic jar with a yellow lid.
At home, the cookies are perfect compliment for coffee, cocoa or ice cream. You can eat it alone even without any tasty drinks. Also, you can enjoy every bite of it since it simply melts in your mouth. For cholesterol watchers we suggest that you use margarine instead of butter.
Lengua de Gato Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup flour, sifted
How to cook Lengua de Gato :
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Using a mixer at medium speed, cream the butter and gradually add sugar.
- Continue mixing until light and fluffy.
- Turn mixer on a high speed and add egg whites one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition, then add vanilla essence.
- Sift the flour 2 times on a wax paper and fold in, blending thoroughly to form a smooth mixture.
- Spoon mixture into a pastry bag with a small round tip.
- Pipe 2-3 inch strips of the batter onto a lined baking tray with wax paper, about 2 inches apart.
- Flatten the batter a little bit by tapping the tray lightly on a flat surface.
- Bake each batch in preheated oven for about 8 minutes or until the cookies have lightly browned edges.
- Remove cookies immediately from the baking tray.
- Peel off wax paper from the cookies while it’s hot to prevent sticking.
- If the cookies become cool you’ll have a hard time taking them off.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let it cool to crisp.
- You can pack the remaining Lengua de Gato cookies in an airtight container or mini-plastic wrap, sealed and store up to a week.
The Spanish-inspired Lengua de Gato Recipe thin butter cookies, are perfect for pairing with coffee or tea.