How to make Latik
Latik Recipe is made from “Kakang Gata” it is the first extract from freshly grated mature coconut. If fresh coconut is not available in your area you can use canned coconut milk. Latik is very easy to make, just simmer the coconut milk in a saucepan until it reduces to coconut oil and solids begin to form at the top surface. These solids are left to fry in the coconut oil until golden brown.
- 1 can Coconut Milk (400ml) or
- 2 cups of fresh shredded mature Coconut
- 2 cups warm water
Latik Cooking Instructions
- Mix the grated coconut with the warm water in a large bowl.
- Scoop the coconut into a sheet of cheesecloth and squeeze over the bowl to express as much coconut juice as possible then strain into a pan. Discard the coconut.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and cook until the mixture is dry, about 15 minutes
- When the texture turns gelatinous, lower the heat and continue stirring.
- It will curdle as it dries, continue stirring until brownish residues are formed which are called ‘latik.’
- This can be used right away to top your Filipino dessert or store it in the fridge for a few days.
Latik Recipe is made from “Kakang Gata” it is the first squeeze from freshly grated mature coconut.
Latik also a delicious topping for vanilla ice cream. .