Last Updated on
How to cook Japanese Takoyaki (Japanese Octopus Dumpling Balls)
Japanese Takoyaki Recipe is one of my favorite food of Japan. you can also find this in other country. but nothing beats the authentic Japanese takoyaki. Tako mean octopus while yaki means grill.
Takoyaki (literally fried or grilled octopus) is a popular ball-shaped Japanese dumpling or more like a savory pancake made of batter and cooked in a special takoyaki pan (see below). It is typically filled with diced or whole baby octopus, tempura scraps (tenkasu), pickled ginger, and green onion.
In modern days, it became common to be brushed with takoyaki sauce and mayonnaise, and topped with green laver (aonori) and katsuobushi (shavings of dried bonito). There are many variations to the takoyaki recipe. For example, ponzu i.e. soy sauce with dashi and citrus vinegar, goma-dare i.e. sesame-and-vinegar sauce or vinegared dashi.
Japanese Takoyaki Ingredients by Pinoy Recipe dot net:
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cup dashi soup
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 lb. boiled octopus, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup dried sakura ebi (red shrimp)
- 1/4 cup chopped pickled red ginger
- katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes)
- aonori (green seaweed powder)
- Worcestershire sauce or takoyaki sauce
Japanese Takoyaki Cooking Procedure:
- Mix flour, dashi soup, and eggs in a bowl to make batter.
- Thickness of the batter should be like potage soup.
- Put oil inside cups of a takoyaki grill pan.
- Pour batter into the cups to the full.
- Put octopus, red ginger, and green onion in each hole.
- Grill takoyaki balls, turning with a pick.
- When takoyaki become rounds and brown, remove them from the pan and place in a plate.
- Put sauce and mayonnaise on takoyaki and sprinkle bonito flakes and aonori on the top.