Last Updated on August 18, 2013 by Ed Joven
Learn how to cook Sweet and Sour Tilapia or Tilapia Escabeche
Sweet and Sour Tilapia Recipe or Tialpia Escabeche is a Filipino dish made by frying any kind of meaty fish, and topping with sweet and sour sauce with vegetables while Tilapia is a popular cooking fish in the Philippines. This Filipino Sweet and Sour Tilapia dish is a bit different than the traditional Chinese sweet and sour fish dish.
Sweet and Sour Tilapia Ingredients
- 2 large whole tilapia fish
- 1 medium chopped white onion
- 1 thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 can pineapple chunk, reserve juice
- 1 thinly sliced red bell pepper
- Cilantro, divided, with leaves and stems, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Black pepper to taste
- 5 cups cooking oil
Sweet and Sour Tilapia Cooking Instructions:
- Deep fry tilapia fish until golden brown and crisp. Drain tilapia on paper towel and place on a platter. Set aside.
- SautÃ© garlic and onion until fragrant with the oil used for frying fish or use new, if desired.
- Add carrot and pineapple chunks. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Pour in pineapple juice, soy sauce, water, flour, salt and sugar. Cover, simmer until thickens.
- Add bell pepper. Again, cover and simmer for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour the sauce mixture over fried tilapia. Top tilapia and sauce with fresh cilantro.
- Serve with rice and enjoy Filipino Sweet and Sour Tilapia hot.