Last Updated on July 12, 2016 by Ed Joven
How to cook Filipino Chicken Sopas Recipe
Filipino Chicken Sopas Recipe is a comfort food and perfect when on a nice cold rainy day or when you’re not feeling well . There are many variations in the recipe, different from every region in the Philippines but it usually contains chicken cut into cubes or chicken strips with chicken broth, onions, vegetables such as carrots, cabbage and celery, elbow macaroni noodles and evaporated milk to give it a richer creamy flavor.
The word “sopas” came from the Spanish word “Sopa”, and it refers to soups in general. Filipino dish has many Chicken soups these are tinolang manok, arroz caldo and sinampalukang manok but the Chicken Sopas is a bit different because it has a milk that makes the soup more creamy. Every Filipino most likely have tasted this dish “Chicken Sopas” that’s why if you have not yet tried this I would suggest that you give it a try, you will surely love it.
Chicken Sopas Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 pieces chicken breast fillet
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 pcs regular hotdog, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, cut into half-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 chicken broth cube for added taste
- 6 cups water
Chicken Sopas Cooking Instructions:
- Place chicken in a saucepan, add water, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes. Take chicken out of the water and set aside.
While the water in the saucepan is still boiling, add the macaroni. Simmer for 10-12 minutes, adding in the carrots and celery in the last 5 minutes.
- While waiting for the macaroni to cook, cut the chicken into cubes or tear into shreds using two forks.
- In a skillet, melt the butter then sauté the garlic, onion, hotdog, and chicken.
- When the chicken have slightly browned, add the red bell pepper and sauté all the ingredients in the skillet together for another minute.
- Transfer all the ingredients in the skillet carefully into the saucepan.
- Add milk and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- For more flavor, add one chicken broth cube and stir until dissolved.
- Serve hot.
Here’s the ready to serve Chicken Sopas Recipe