GD Star Rating
Filipino Biko Recipe, consists of malagkit (glutinous) rice, coconut milk, sugar, and topped with “latik”.
Biko is a rice cake with caramel topping or latik and here is the recipe for Biko. Biko is usually served during birthday parties, fiestas, Christmas, New Year and other celebrated events in Philippines.
Preparation time: 10 minutes.
Cooking time: 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- 2 cups malagkit (sticky rice)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 1/2 cups diluted coconut milk
- 1/8 lb. butter
- 1 can (15 oz.) condensed milk
- 3/4 cups rich coconut milk
- 2 to 3 tbsp. flour for quick thickening
Biko Cooking Instructions:
- Grate and squeeze out milk from 2 coconuts. Save 3/4 cup of the first milk squeezed out (rich milk) for topping.
- Dilute the rest of the coconut milk to make 3 1/2 cups. Or use 1 can (12 ounces) frozen coconut milk, saving 3/4 cup of the thick milk for topping and diluting the rest to make 3 1/2 cups.
- Boil rice and coconut milk in a heavy pot stirring constantly to keep from burning (about 15 to 20 minutes). When the rice is done and almost dry, lower the heat and add the sugar and butter.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Scoop the cooked biko and place it in a baking dish or Bilao then flatten the surface.
To make latik or topping:
- Combine all topping ingredients in a heavy saucepan and cook over low heat stirring constantly until thick (about 15 minutes) or brown.
- then pour topping over rice mixture.
- served while hot.
Here’s the Biko Recipe ready to be served.
Filipino Biko Recipe (Rice Cake with Caramel Toppings),
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected and Monitored by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Sapin Sapin Recipe >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>