GD Star Rating
How to cook Bibingka Galapong
Bibingka Galapong Recipe is a kind of rice cake made from rice flour, traditionally sold outside the churches during the Christmas season in the Philippines.
Bibingka Galapong Recipe or Coconut Rice Cake is usually cooked in a clay pot, lined w/ banana leaves and topped with salted egg slices that add a satisfying flavor of this Filipino dessert. At the top and at the bottom of the pan, coal is placed to cook the rice cakes completely.
This rice cake is best served with butter and coconut shreds best paired with salabat or ginger tea or with hot chocolate. Here is the recipe in making Bibingkang Galapong.
Bibingka Galapong Ingredients:
- 400 g (2 cups) uncooked rice
- 500 ml (2 cups) water
- 3 eggs
- 125 g (1/2 cup) sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, plus additional for brushing
- 250 ml (1 cup) thick coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 sheet banana leaf
- 250 g (8 oz) cottage cheese or cheddar cheese, grated
Bibingka Galapong Cooking Instructions:
- Soak rice in water overnight. Drain rice, reserving the liquid. In a blender or food processor, grind the rice finely, adding just enough of the reserved liquid so the mixture is not dry. Set aside for about 12 hours at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350º F) Beat eggs in a bowl until foamy. Add sugar and butter until fluffy. Pour the coconut milk into the ground rice and mix well. Blend into the egg mixture, beating well until smooth. Add baking powder.
- Wilt banana leaves by passing over an open flame for several seconds. Line 2 small baking dishes, or heatproof pans, about 20 cm (8 inches) in diameter, with banana leaves. Brush banana leaves with butter. Pour mixture into the baking dishes, distributing evenly. Top with grated cheese and brush with butter again.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot with cheese on top and grated coconut flesh on the side.
Bibingka Galapong Cooking Tips:
- Banana Leaves should be passed over an open flame for a few seconds before use to soften them, so that they do not crack when folded. Alternatively, dip the leaves in boiling water until they just start to soften. They are sold in rectangular sheets in provision shops, supermarket or the local market if you are in the Philippines. If banana leaves are not available substitute with wax paper.
- Thick Coconut Milk is obtained by grating the flesh of 1 coconut into bowl (this yields about 3 cups of coconut flesh) Add 1 cup water, knead thoroughly a few times, then squeeze the mixture firmly in your fist or strain in a cheese cloth. If using canned or packet coconut cream, you normally dilute it, adding 1 cup of water to 1 cup of canned or packet coconut cream to obtain thick coconut milk. This mixing ratio is only a general guide however. Different brands of packaged coconut cream vary in thickness, so follow the package instructions.
Bibingka Galapong rice cake is best served with butter and cheese with hot chocolate.
updated: Nov 22, 2013
Bibingka Galapong Recipe,
, pinoy desserts
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected and Monitored by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Filipino Fruit Salad Recipe >>
Join our Christmas Giveaway!
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>