Last Updated on March 18, 2018 by Ed Joven
How to cook Tinolang Tulya
Here is another Filipino seafood dish, we will be having Tinolang Tulya Recipe – it is a clam soup same as the famous Filipino soup dish called chicken tinola or tinolang manok which uses green papaya chunks, ginger and chili pepper leaves.
When you make this dish you should make sure that the clams are thoroughly cleansed and the dirt is already washed out of its shell. In a container full of water, pour the clams and let it remain for at least half day to make the clams remove the sand.
This soup dish is a real budget saver, very delicious and comforting, perfect for the rainy season.
Everyone who wants to cook this Tinolang Tulya can follow easily this recipe.
Tinolang Tulya Ingredients:
- 2 kilo Tulya or Manila clams
- 1 small sized green papaya fruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks tanglad (lemon grass)
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced into strips
- 1/2 head garlic, chopped
- 2 pcs medium sized tomatoes, sliced
- 1 pc. medium size onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 pcs birds eye chilli
Tinolang Tulya Cooking Instructions:
- Thoroughly wash the Tulya or clams, drain and place in a bowl then pour water.
- Cover the clams with water and let sit in for half a day or more to allow the clams to expel the sand.
- Boil 2 cups of water with tanglad, set aside.
- Saute garlic and ginger together in a frying pan, then add sliced onion and tomatoes.
- Pour about 2 cups of prepared tanglad water then bring to a boil.
- Add Tulya or clams, birds eye chilli and allow water to boil until the clam shells open halfway.
- Add chilli pepper leaves and simmer for another 1 minute then turn off the heat.
- Serve with steam rice.
Tinolang Tulya Recipe is a real budget saver, very delicious and comforting, perfect for the rainy season.