Learn how to cook Shrimp Kropek
Shrimp Kropek Recipe are also known as shrimp crackers, another favorite Pulutan for a budget drinking session. Shrimp Kropek are light, puffy and flavorful crispy crackers that often served as a side dish for fried and roast dishes on Chinese cuisines.
Shrimp Kropek is a deep fried cracker, a popular snack or appetizer here in the Philippines and we call it kropek. It is usually made from starch or powdered shrimp from shrimps head and perfect with chili vinegar dip. Learn how to cook this mouth-watering Kropek Recipe.
Shrimp Kropek Ingredients:
- 1/8 kilo Shrimp
- 1/2 kilo Rice flour
- 1/2 tsp Magic Sarap
- 3 tbsps. Lime water
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 2 drops of Yellow food coloring
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- 4 cups water
- 1-1/2 tsp. Salt
Shrimp Kropek Cooking Instructions:
- Pour all dry ingredients in a bowl, mix well. (Note: the bowl must be a glass bowl or plastic bowl, do not use metal bowl).
- Next, prepare the Shrimp. Wash the shrimp then place in a pan and cooked for 3 minutes, remove the shells and set aside the shrimp heads. (You can use this on other dish such as Laswa)
- Add the water, egg, and shrimp flesh in a blender, then blend for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now mix the dry ingredients and the shrimp mixture then add the food coloring and stir very well until it forms into a thick batter.
- Cook the batter using a steamer.
- Spread the batter in an aluminum container evenly by tilting the pan on its sides, thus coating the bottom of the pan evenly. Make about 1 cm. thick.
- Steam the aluminum pan inside the steamer for about 5 minutes or until the batter has solidified and looks transparent.
- Cool by placing the aluminum pan in a larger pan filled with iced water.
- Now remove the cooked kropek from the pan, make sure not to tear it.
- Place the kropek on a cookie tray to dry for about 30 to 40 minutes, once dried cut the kropek into squares of desired sizes or about 2 cm. each. Or you can use a small cookie cutter to make rounded shaped kropek. Place the Shrimp Kropek on a separate tray to completely dry.
- When thoroughly dry, deep fry the kropek pieces in hot Canola oil until crispy. When cooked place in a paper towel to dry out the oil.