Last Updated on
Learn how to cook Sigarilyas Bicol Express
Bicol Express Recipe is a well-known hot and spicy pork dish, from the Bicol Region here in the Philippines. It is cooked in coconut milk with lots of chillies and shrimp paste or bagoong. Some people say that the history of this dish is named from the passenger train service but others said that it is called Bicol express because in Bicol, you can find lots of coconuts and chilies so you will be able to cook this recipe at any time you want.
Sigarilyas Bicol Express Recipe is not the usual Bicol Express recipe that we all know, this is much more nutritious; this time we’re going to cook this with sigarilyas. Winged Beans is the English name of sigarilyas, it has a squarish shape and frilly corners, it has a high calcium and protein content, and also has a good source of natural minerals like iron, vitamins A and C.
Sigarilyas Bicol Express Ingredients:
- 1/2 Pork belly, cut lengthwise
- 12 Pieces winged beans
- 5-10 Pieces green Bird’s Eye chilli (Thai Chili)
- 3 Pieces Siling labuyo (chili pepper cultivar)
- 1/2 Cup shrimp paste (Bagoong)
- 3 Cloves of garlic
- 1 Medium size onion
- 1 Can coconut milk
- Canola Cooking oil
Sigarilyas Bicol Express Cooking Instructions:
- Clean the Pork belly and slice lengthwise, set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat Canola oil then saute garlic and onion.
- Add the sliced pork belly and stir fry until pork turns brown.
- Add shrimp paste(bagoong), mix well with the pork for another minutes.
- Pour the coconut milk, cover and simmer until the pork meat are done.
- Add the Sigarilyas (winged beans), bird’s eye chilli and green long chilli
- Cover and simmer in medium heat for 12 minutes or until the coconut milk had reduced to a thick oily gravy.
- If you can’t tolerate too much spicy foods omit the Siling labuyo.