Last Updated on July 11, 2016 by Ed Joven
How to cook Ginisang Ampalaya with Corned Beef Recipe
Ginisang Ampalaya with Corned Beef Recipe is made from bittermelon or Ampalaya with Egg and Corned Beef, this one is a twist from the traditional Ginisang Ampalaya dish. This dish has many versions like Ginisang Ampalaya with Beef or others containing pork, shrimp and chicken.
Here’s a little nutritional info about Ampalaya. Bitter Melon (Ampalaya) leaves and fruits are excellent sources of Vitamin B, iron, calcium, phosphorus and beta carotene. The Philippine Department of Health has endorsed Ampalaya Bitter Melon (Momordica Charantia) as an alternative herbal medicine for liver problems. Research about Ampalaya has shown that Ampalaya increases the production of beta cells by the pancreas, thereby improving the body’s ability to produce insulin, that controls the blood sugar for diabetics.
Try this healthy and nutritious Ginisang Ampalaya with Corned Beef Recipe
Ginisang Ampalaya with Corned Beef Ingredients
- 2 medium size ampalaya or Bitter Melon, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can 180gram Corned Beef
- 1/2 cup cooked shrimp
- 2 eggs
- black pepper and salt to taste
- Canola cooking oil
Ginisang Ampalaya with Corned Beef Cooking Instructions
- Thinly slice the Ampalaya then put the ampalaya in a bowl.
- If you dont like the bitter taste of ampalaya (not recommended because it will loose the nutrients of the vegetable) , add salt and lukewarm water in the bowl then soak for 3 to 5 minutes. Squeeze the ampalaya with both hands until all liquid drips. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan. Saute onion, garlic and tomato.
- Add the Corned Beef.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until the Corned Beef is half cook then add the ampalaya.
- After 3 minutes, Pull the ampalaya on the side leaving an empty space in the middle of the pan.
- Add the beaten egg, leave it for 1 minute then stir with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with steamed Garlic rice
Tip :Do not over cooked the Ampalaya so it will still have a distinct crunchy taste when you eat.
Here’s the ready to serve Ginisang Ampalaya with Corned Beef Recipe.