How to bake Red Velvet Cake
Red Velvet Cake Recipe is the hottest cake flavor out there because if you watch food channels many chef have their own version of this cake.
Red Velvet Cake is always topped with cream cheese frosting. What’s so special about it is its moist richness and underlying chocolaty flavor and how it blends so well with the rich cream cheese frosting. A Southern American version of this recipe with buttermilk gives red velvet cake a very unique flavor.
This recipe is from the famous Chef Bobby Flay’s Throwdown!: More Than 100 Recipes from Food Network’s Ultimate Cooking Challenge
Red Velvet Cake Ingredients
- 3 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
Red Velvet Cake Cooking Instructions
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans and line each pan with a round of parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl
- Cream the butter, sugar and oil in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl and beat until incorporated.
- Beat in the vanilla, vinegar and food coloring.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter in 3 batches alternating with the buttermilk, mixing well after each addition.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool on a baking rack for 15 minutes before removing the cake from the pans.
- Let cool completely before frosting. Slice each cake into 2 layers and frost.
For the Frosting:
- Combine the cream, milk, vanilla bean and seeds in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Remove the vanilla bean and discard. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened to a paste, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until very cold, at least 2 hours.
- Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat until the mixture is very fluffy and the sugar is totally dissolved, about 6 minutes.
- Add the cold paste, a few tablespoons at a time to the butter mixture and whip until light and fluffy.
Here’s the ready to serve Red Velvet Cake Recipe. Yummy!