Last Updated on March 4, 2019 by Ed Joven
How to cook Ginisang Ampalaya
This is our second Ginisang Ampalaya recipe, the first one is Ginisang Ampalaya with Egg. This new Ampalaya recipe which we call Ginisang Ampalaya with Beef, we added Lean Ground Beef to make it more delicious and attractive to the kids who hated the bitter taste of Ampalaya.
Ampalaya is also called bitter melon in some countries, it is more popular as “bitter gourd“. Here’s a more in depth definition of Ampalaya from Wikipedia.
Ampalaya is best known as anti-diabetic vegetable, it contains lectin that has insulin-like activity due to its non-protein-specific linking together to insulin receptors. This lectin lowers blood glucose concentrations by acting on peripheral tissues and, similar to insulin’s effects in the brain, suppressing appetite. This lectin is likely a major contributor to the hypoglycemic effect that develops after eating bitter melon.
Here are other nutritional benefits of Ampalaya, it is an excellent source of vitamins B1, B2, and B3, C, magnesium, folic acid, zinc, phosphorus, manganese, and has high dietary fiber. It is rich in iron, contains twice the beta-carotene of broccoli, twice the calcium of spinach, and twice the potassium of a banana.
We suggest that you try this healthy and anti-diabetic vegetable dish, Ginisang Ampalaya with Beef
Ginisang Ampalaya with Beef Ingredients:
- 2 pieces Ampalaya
- 1/4 kilo lean ground Beef
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 raw eggs
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
Ginisang Ampalaya with Beef Cooking Instructions:
- Slice the Ampalaya into thin slices, also slice the the onion and tomato
- Heat the pan and place the cooking oil
- Saute’ the garlic, onion, and tomato the add the beef until it turns brown
- Add the ampalaya mix well with the other ingredients
- Put-in salt and pepper to taste
- Beat the eggs and pour over the ampalaya then let the eggs cook partially, mix it well with all the ingredients
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!
Tips to minimize the bitterness of Ampalaya: ( PinoyRecipe do not recommend this procedure if you are after the medicinal benefits of Ampalaya, because squeezing out the juice eliminates most of the nutrients.)
- Tip #1] Rub a handful salt and squeeze the sliced Ampalaya/bitter gourds to remove the bitter juice
- Tip #2] Another way to partially eliminate the bitter taste is to boil with water and drain. This process is repeated a few times.
- Tip #3] Place the Ampalaya in a luke warm water, add a pinch of salt then leave for 5 minutes. Place the ampalaya in a cheese cloth then squeeze tightly until all liquid drips.
Ready to serve Ginisang Ampalaya with Beef