Last Updated on June 29, 2016 by Ed Joven
How to make Frozen Brazo de Mercedes
Frozen Brazo de Mercedes Recipe is a twist from the classic dessert in the Philippines called Brazo de Mercedes which is of Spanish origin that means “Mercedes’ arm” for the reason that it is roll shaped and looks like a woman’s arm.
This Frozen Brazo de Mercedes is a four layered cake that consists of a decadently delicious combination of fluffy meringue on top, chewy custard filling, vanilla ice cream and the bottom layer is the graham crust. This is absolutely a perfect sweet treat for the holidays specially this coming Christmas season with a mix of different textures that is rich, cool and crisp that melts in your mouth. If you want the Brazo de Mercedes classic version click here.
Frozen Brazo de Mercedes Ingredients
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 8 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 (300-gram) can condensed milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon, rind1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the crust:
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
Frozen Brazo de Mercedes Instructions:
How to make the Meringue:
- Whisk egg whites until foamy then add cream of tartar and salt, next gradually add sugar.
- Continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
- Place in 9×9-inch baking pan then bake at 300ºF for 1 hour.
- Dusted parchment paper with confectioners’ sugar then invert the Meringue on it .
How to make the custard filling:
- Place the egg yolks and condensed milk in a stainless steel bowl and place the bowl a top a pot of simmering water, making sure that the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Mix the egg yolks and the condensed milk until thick using a whisk until the mixture has thickened like a custard.
- Remove from the heat and then add the butter, making sure to fully incorporate.
- Allow to cool in the refrigerator and set aside until needed.
Make the crust:
- Melt the butter then combine with sugar and graham.
- Mix well and press onto the bottom of 2 (9-inch) loaf pans.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Cool the crust then set aside and chill.
- Spread a thin layer of custard filling over the chilled crust.
- Place a layer of ice cream, around half an inch (1.3 cm or so) thick, over the custard filling.
- Cut the meringue into 2, making sure the pieces will fit into the pans.
- Place over the ice cream layer. Dust with confectioner’s sugar.
- Cover with foil or plastic wrap then return the dessert to the freezer and allow to set for around two to three hours.
Frozen Brazo de Mercedes Recipe is awesomely delicious Filipino dessert – an excellent sweet treat this Christmas!