How to cook Red Velvet Cupcakes
Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe. A red velvet cake is a popular cake with a dark red, bright red or red-brown color. It is usually prepared as a layer cake topped with a creamy vanilla icing, or most popularly, cream cheese icing. The reddish-brown color of the cake was originally from a reaction of the cocoa powder with an acidic ingredient such as buttermilk; however, red food coloring is often added.
Common ingredients of Red Velvet Cupcakes include buttermilk, butter, flour, cocoa, cookie dough if using that filling, and beetroot or red food coloring. The amount of cocoa used varies in different recipes. Cream cheese frosting is most commonly paired with the cake, as well as the traditional buttercream.
In this recipe we used Betty Crocker ready to use Choco Creamy Frosting, instead of creating our own frosting but you can search Google for frosting recipe if you wan to create your own.
Red Velvet Cupcakes Ingredients:
- 435g plain flour
- 1 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 360ml vegetable oil
- 375g caster sugar
- 300ml buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 40ml red food colouring
- 1 1/4 tsp vinegar (white or apple cider)
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 30ml water
- 453g Betty Crocker ready to use Choco Creamy Frosting
Red Velvet Cupcakes Cooking Instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Line a 16 space fairy cake tin with paper baking cases.
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cocoa powder into a bowl and set aside.
- In a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix the oil, sugar and buttermilk until combined.
- Add the eggs, food coloring, vinegar, vanilla and water and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients a little bit at a time and mix on low, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Mix until just combined; do not over mix or the cakes will come out tough.
- Divide the batter between the paper baking cases and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a cocktail stick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Spread the Betty Crocker ready to use Choco Creamy Frosting over the top of the cakes. Alternatively it can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Here’s the decorated Red Velvet Cupcakes.
Enjoy this Easy Red Velvet Cupcakes.