Last Updated on April 30, 2014 by Ed Joven
How to cook Carne Frita
In Filipino dishes, there are lots of different appetizing versions of cooking such recipes. It is sometimes derived from other places or provinces and prepared with their own distinct twist. Like in this recipe that we are going to prepare, it is the Carne Frita Recipe (Ilonggo Style) – this is similar to the “Bistek Tagalog Recipe” which happened to be the counterpart of the world famous “beef steak”. Carne Frita Recipe (Ilonggo Style) is a meat dish which made up of thin strips of beef or you may also opt to use chunky beef or the shoulder part of pork. Cooking this dish is simply easy and to make it more flavorful is to marinate it first with the combination of some spices such as soy sauce, garlic, lemon or kalamansi juice, salt and pepper and a little sugar.
Ilonggos are the people who live in the western region of Visayas here in the Philippines and they considered Carne Frita as a comfort food, which usually prepared during Sundays where all the family members gather and serve it for lunch.
Carne Frita Ingredients:
- 1/2 kilo Beef sirloin, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, crushed
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup calamansi juice or Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (Silver Swan)
- 2 small onions, cut into rings
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 1/3 cup Canola oil
Carne Frita Cooking Instructions:
- Cut the beef into smaller pieces. Remove the ligaments away..
- In a big bowl, combine the beef, light soy sauce, garlic, and peppercorns.
- Pour the Calamansi juice over the beef and mix well. Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large wok over high heat, put in the Canola cooking oil.
- Place the beef one by one, then fry and let brown on both sides.
- Set aside the remaining marinade.
- Once the liquid is boiling briskly, reduce the heat to low and leave to simmer for about 6 minutes then drain the liquid into the bowl of marinade and set aside.
- Bring the heat up to medium and to fry the beef, adding Canola cooking oil as needed.
- When the beef has turned crisp at the edges and is done to your preference (I like it browned), add the beef marinade.
- Let the Carne Frita simmer for 2 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Add the sesame oil and onion rings then mix well with the beef then transfer to a serving plate.
Carne Frita Recipe gets more delicious as it stays longer.