How to cook Adobong Tanigue with Gata
Adobo is probably the most famous Filipino dish of all. When you hear about adobo, the first thing that will come to mind is the usual chicken adobo and pork adobo or the chicken-pork adobo which is the two ingredients is cooked at the same time. However, this popular authentic Filipino dish has evolved into many variations, and in this recipe we are preparing the Adobong Tanigue sa Gata, this is an alternative and a much healthier version of adobo that we all know, since we are using tanigue or spanish mackerel fish as the main ingredient.
This flavorful dish is cooked with coconut milk or “gata” which makes the sauce creamy and enticingly delicious.
Adobong Tanigue sa Gata Ingredients:
- 1 kg Tanigue steaks
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- 1 medium size onion
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup Cane vinegar
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 pcs bay leaves
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp whole peppercorns
- 2 pcs birds eye chillies, sliced diagonally (optional)
- Canola oil for frying
Adobong Tanigue sa Gata Cooking Instructions:
- Fry tanigue steaks until golden brown then set aside.
- In a separate pot sauté garlic and onions in oil using low heat until golden brown.
- Add water, vinegar, soy sauce, peppercorn, bay leaves and sugar then bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk mix well, let it simmer for 3 minutes then add the fried tanigue steaks and gently stir cook until the sauce sticks with the fish. Be careful not to break the tanigue steaks when stirring.
- Add chillies then simmer for additional 2 minutes.
- Serve Hot with Garlic Rice.
Adobong Tanigue sa Gata Recipe is an alternative and a much healthier version of the famous Adobo. This flavorful dish is cooked with coconut milk or “gata”.