How to cook Nilagang Baka
Nilagang Baka Recipe is a delicious beef stew made with petsay, cabbages and other vegetables. It is one of the most common dishes that can be found in every part of the Philippines. Nilagang Baka is an everyday dish that can be found in almost all carinderias (small eatery) in the Philippines which is highly appreciated by every one.
From the name itself Nilaga meaning boiled, Baka means beef in English, it takes several hours to cook this dish. The process of boiling makes the meat soft and tender. Beef brisket, short rib or beef shank would be an excellent choice for this dish, and of course, fresh vegetables must be added to make a perfect flavorful soup.
Try this delicious and nutritious beef soup, Nilagang Baka Recipe.
Nilagang Baka Ingredients:
- 1 kilo beef shank
- 8 potatoes cut the same size as the beef
- 1 bundle Pechay (Bok choy) cut into 2 pieces
- 1 small cabbage, quartered
- 5 onions, diced
- 4 tablespoons of patis (fish sauce)
- 10 corns of black pepper
- 1 liter of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
Nilagang Baka Cooking Instructions:
- In a big casserole, place beef and pour in water the water level is just above the meat.
- Bring to boil and let it simmer for 10 mins then remove scum or dirt on top while simmering.
Add onions, cover & simmer for 1 to 1 and 1/2 hrs or until beef is tender, if using pressure cooker it will only take 30 mins.
- Add enough water, beef cube & potatoes, continue to simmer until potatoes are cooked.
- Add peppercorn, ground pepper, & fish sauce.
- Add the cabbage then the pechay, cover then simmer for 2 mins. Do not over cook the vegetables.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve steaming hot in a bowl and plain white rice.