Last Updated on April 13, 2015 by Ed Joven
How to cook Lengua Estofado
Lengua Estofado Recipe is adopted by Filipinos from Spanish cuisine and a lot of variations of this recipe are known all over the world. Lengua Estofado or sometimes called Estofada is made from ox tongue, cooked in tomato sauce, green olives, and mushrooms then often served with fried potatoes.
In Tagalog, Lengua means tongue and Estofado refers to a style of cooking which simply means stewing. Christmas is just around the corner, if you are thinking of a special and party dishes to prepare for Noche Buena, this Lengua Estofado Recipe is definitely one of them, you must learn how to cook this! This dish tasted like Beef Caldereta but much better than Caldereta, try it so you’ll know.
Lengua Estofado Ingredients:
- 1 kilo Ox tongue (cleaned, boiled, skin removed, and thinly sliced)
- 8 pcs. calamansi, juice squeezed
- 2 pcs beef cubes
- 3 stalks tanglad (lemongrass), fold and tied
- 1 can Tomato Paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsps. garlic, minced
- 1 pc. large size onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced.
- 1 can black or green olives, sliced into halves
- 2 cans white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup white or brown sugar
- 2 tbsps. oyster sauce
- 1-2 cups cooking oil
- 5 cups water
- 3 stalks fresh spring onions, chopped (optional for garnishing)
Lengua Estofado Cooking Instructions:
- Marinate the ox tongue for 2-3 hours in calamansi and meat seasoning.
- Boil the ox tongue with the marinade adding tanglad and water enough to cover the meat.
- Cook in 1-2 hours until the meat is little tender.
- Rinse tongue in running water, clean and peel the rough skin.
- Store inside the refrigerator for 1-2 hours, this will make the tongue firmer and easy to slice.
- Slice thinly in serving sizes.
- Saute the chopped onions and minced garlic.
- Put-in the Ox Tongue and cook for a few minutes
- Add the tomato puree, diced tomatoes, beef cube, sugar and water then simmer for an hour.
- In a separate pan, heat the cooking oil and fry the potatoes. Set aside
- On the same pan were the potatoes were fried, remove excess oil and sauté the mushroom.
- Add some oyster sauce then set aside
- Once the Ox tongue is tender, add salt, pepper, sliced red bell peppers and green olives.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- If the tongue is still not tender, transfer all to a slow cooker and cook for another 30 minutes to an hour on high heat.
- Serve hot with rice.
Lengua Estofado Recipe is great for special occasions and Christmas season parties.