How to cook Kansi
Kanse Recipe is an Ilonggo recipe that is sort of like a cross between Bulalo (beef bone marrow and vegetables soup) and Sinigang (sour pork soup). Kansi is one of the finest delicacies of Bacolod City, it is Ilonggo’s version of the famous Bulalo.
Enjoy the tangy and flavorful taste of Kansi and the aroma of lemon grass that will surely soothe you.
- 1 kilo Beef Shank
- Lemon grass (2 stalk)
- 2 medium onions
- Fresh ginger (1/2 cup, sliced)
- 2 long hot pepper
- Atchuete powder(1 Tablespoon)
- 6 pcs. batwan fruit (a souring agent for soup that is locally famous and widely used in Visayas) or Sinigang mix (1 pack or to taste)
- 1/4 kilo green unripe Jackfruit ( sliced )
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt & pepper (to taste)
Kansi Cooking Instructions:
- Saute garlic and onions
- Add beef and ginger into the pot and pour just enough water to cover most of the meat
- Leave it to boil for about an hour to two hours until the meat is soft.
- Lower heat to simmer, add more water into the pot until meat is completely submerged
- Mix in batwan fruit or sinigang mix, salt, and pepper (we used about half of the pack of sinigang mix, if you want it more sour use the whole pack)
- Mix in pepper (add more if you want it to be spicier)
- Put in sliced green jackfruit
- Leave to simmer until jackfruit is cooked and beef is very soft
- When it’s almost done, put in lemongrass (tie it into a knot) and atchuete for color
- Simmer for about 10 minutes and serve with hot rice.