Last Updated on July 6, 2016 by Ed Joven
How to make French Toast
French Toast Recipe is obviously not a Filipino dish but many Pinoy love this bread toast for breakfast including me. French toast, also known as eggy bread or gypsy toast, is a dish of bread soaked in beaten eggs and then fried.
Why is French toast called “French” toast? It didn’t originate in France. In fact, despite its Francophilic title, there is nothing inherently French about French toast. It is a dish that spans numerous countries and eras in history.
The typical French toast is made by dipping bread in eggs, frying the bread, then topping it with a variety of foods depending on what’s popular in a particular geographic location. It is available around the world, but most popular in North America and Europe.
This French Toast recipe is adapted from Food Network’s Master Chef Alton Brown, it tasted so good that’s why I wanted to share it, I hope you’ll love it too.
French Toast Ingredients:
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey, warmed in microwave for 20 seconds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 (1/2-inch) slices day-old or stale country loaf, brioche or challah bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
French Toast Cooking Instructions:
- In medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, honey, and salt. You may do this the night before.
- When ready to cook, pour custard mixture into a pie pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Dip bread into mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side, and then remove to a cooling rack that is sitting in a sheet pan, and allow to sit for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 10-inch nonstick saute pan.
- Place 2 slices of bread at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and place on rack in oven for 5 minutes. Repeat with all 8 slices.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, whipped cream, butter or fruit.
French Toast Recipe is a delicious dish of bread soaked in beaten eggs and then fried.