How to cook Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s Pie is a savory meat pie with a crust made mashed potato and very popular in the UK and Ireland. The name “shepherd’s pie” was first used in the 1870’s, it was first called “cottage pie”. The coined name “shepherd’s pie” has been used when the meat is lamb, because a shepherd looks after the sheep. This dish is now popular worldwide with different variations.
We have seen this on one of Gordon Ramsay’s shows and decided to do our own version since lamb meat is very expensive in the Philippines, we used beef instead. You can try the original Chef Ramsay Shepherd’s Pie recipe or try this Filipino style Shepherd’s Pie Recipe.
Filipino style Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients:
- 1/2 kilo ground round beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/4 stick butter
- 1 medium sized carrot carrots,
- 1/4 cup sweet corn kernels,
- 1/8 cup green peas
- 1/8 cup mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 pcs medium potatoes
- 1/4 stick butter
- 4 tbsp Full Cream Milk
- Salt and pepper
- Cheddar Cheese (optional)
Filipino style Shepherd’s Pie Cooking Instructions:
- Peel and cut potatoes into halves, boil it for about 20 minutes or until tender then drain and set aside.
- Melt 1/4 stick butter in large frying pan.
- Sauté onions in butter until tender over a medium heat, for about 8 mins.
- Put carrots in with the onions then add mushrooms, corn kernels, and green peas.
- Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper.
- Add Worcestershire and Hot sauce. Add 1/4 cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 5 minutes, make sure to keep it moist then turn off the heat.
- Divide the beef mixture into 2 baking dish evenly and set aside.
- Mash potatoes in bowl with 1/4 stick butter, add milk then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Distribute mashed potatoes on top of the meat evenly, garnish it with cheddar cheese on top.
- Cook for about 30 minutes in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown.
- Broil for last few minutes if necessary to brown.
Try this Filipino version of Shepherd’s Pie Recipe.
This Filipino style Shepherd’s Pie Recipe is awesomely delicious