Last Updated on July 10, 2016 by Ed Joven
Try this delectable Filipino Donut
Filipino Donut Recipe is one of the favorite snacks of Filipinos. It appeals not only to the children and teenagers but as well as to the young professionals and elders. The nice and wonderful adornments crafted from the creative minds and hands of the baker make this Filipino doughnut recipe most sought after.
Either the donuts are plain or fancy, homemade or from a donut seller, it has its unique and magnetizing taste. As you notice, the Filipino donut recipe comes in variants with appetizing and magnificent flavors making it a perfect pair with a hot and tasty cup of coffee.
This Pinoy Donut step by step recipe will easily guide you to make one for your family and friends.
Filipino Donut Ingredients:
- 250 ml warm water
- 1 tbsp. instant yeast
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1/8 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups cooking oil, for frying
- Glaze and Sprinkles, to decorate
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/8 cup powdered milk
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. orange extract (optional)
- Color food gel, (optional)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup cream or milk
- 1 tbsp. butter or canola oil
Filipino Donut Cooking Instructions:
- To make a dough, sift the bread flour and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the center and set aside.
- In another bowl mix warm water, instant yeast and white sugar, stir and let stand to activate the yeast.
- Pour in the yeast mixture into the flour and mix from the inner part until everything is mixed.
- Transfer dough on a clean flat surface, dusted with flour and knead the dough.
- Add vegetable shortening while continuously kneading the dough until becomes smooth and no longer sticky.
- You can also use a stand mixer if you have one. After kneading, set aside the dough in a bowl covered with plastic wrap for 30 minutes until has risen.
- Meanwhile, prepare icing sugar by mixing icing sugar, powdered milk and add water gradually.
- Whisk mixture until the consistency is similar to a condensed milk, then add orange essence and food coloring if using one.
- If you want a Ganache, heat half cup of cream or milk in a saucepan then pour into a bowl with half cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Whisk until chocolate melts then add in butter or oil to make your ganache looks glossy.
- After the dough has risen, sprinkle flour lightly on clean surface and on the dough as well.
- Flatten the dough with a rolling pin until half inch thick.
- Cut the dough using a doughnut cutter or a round cookie cutter uses the bigger one for the size and the smaller one for the hole in the center. Place and arrange doughnuts on a tray and prick with a fork to avoid doughnuts from swelling during frying.
- Set aside the dough and give another 30 minutes and allow it to expand a little bit.
- Pour in the cooking oil into a pan until it’s hot.
- Fry doughnuts by batches to avoid dough from sticking to each other, until golden brown and flip them over to cook both sides.
- Drip off excess oil from the doughnut before putting your glaze.
Delectable Filipino Donut Recipe, an all-time Filipino favorite snack.