How to cook Totsong Bangus
Totsong Bangus Recipe is an old Filipino dish with black beans and soy cakes. Bangus, or milkfish, is the national fish of the Philippines and cooking it with black beans and soy is only one of many ways to prepare this fish, you can find more Filipino Bangus Recipes here.
Totsong Bangus Ingredients by Pinoy Recipe dot net:
- 1 whole bangus, scaled, gutted and cut into serving pieces
- Canola oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 thumb-size ginger, peeled and julienned
- 2 medium Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 squares tahure (fermented bean cakes)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup tausi (fermented black beans), rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper to taste
Totsong Bangus Cooking Procedure:
- Wash bangus and drain well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and let stand for about 30 minutes.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat about 1 inch deep of oil.
- Carefully add bangus and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- In another pan over medium heat, heat about 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add onions, garlic and ginger and cook until aromatic.
- Add tomatoes and cook, mashing with back of spoon, until softened.
- In a bowl, mash tahure. Add vinegar and water and stir until combined.
- Add tahure mixture to pan and bring to a boil, uncovered and without stirring, for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add bangus and tausi. Cover and continue to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes or until fish is cooked and sauce is reduced.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.