How to cook Filipino style Chicken a la King
Chicken a la King Recipe is a sumptuous chicken dish perfect in an elegant Christmas dinner or any special occasion. This dish consists of diced chicken and mushrooms in creamy and flavorful sauce with lots of red or green bell pepper and vegetables which can be served over pasta, toasted bread or steamed rice.
There are a lot of claims about the origin and who had invented this dish some say it is from Chef Charles Ranhofer of Delmonico’s, another claims it was created in 1881 in London at Claridge’s Hotel, and another claims that it is from Chef George Greenwald of the Brighton Beach Hotel created it in 1890s, named after patron E. Clarke King and his wife. The Filipino version of Chicken a la King is with toasted “tasty” bread.
Try this Filipino favorite snack Chicken a la King Recipe.
Chicken a la King Ingredients:
- 1 cup chicken leftovers, small cubes
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup potatoes, peeled and small cubes
- 1/4 cup carrots, peeled and small cubes
- 1/4 cup button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp. red wine (optional)
- 1/4 cup celery or green peas
- 1/4 cup red and green peppers
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 12-18 pcs. sliced bread, edges trimmed
- 1/2 bar quick melt cheese, shredded
Chicken a la King Instructions:
- Washed, peeled and slice vegetables into small cubes roughly the same size of the corn kernels.
- Separate cube potatoes in a bowl with water to prevent from browning.
- Slice the mushroom thinly and in a small bowl separate the egg yolk from the white, set aside and store the egg white for later use.
- Prepare your leftover chicken, deboned, skinned and cut into cubes a little bigger than your vegetables.
- In a pan over low heat, melt the butter and add the potatoes sautee for a minute then add the carrots and sautee until half cooked.
- Add chicken sautee for another minute then add mushrooms and corn kernels.
- Pour in a cup of chicken stock and let it simmer.
- In a bowl, dilute a tablespoon of flour in milk and whisk until smooth and no lumps.
- Add the milk mixture into the pan and stir until sauce thickens.
- Add in a tablespoon of red wine, if using one followed by celery or green peas, then red and green bell peppers.
- Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Fire off, stir in the beaten egg yolk and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, trim all sides of sliced bread and save the sides for later use.
- Gently press down each bread into muffin pans and press the sides of the bread against the pan.
- The bread should look like a little crown of a King. Bake in a preheated oven at 300F or toast until light brown in color.
- When it’s done, take off from the oven and fill each toasted bread with a tablespoon of chicken mixture into each bread cups “crowns”.
- Top with grated quick-melt cheese, and bake again for a few minutes until cheese has melted and the bread are crunchy.
- Transfer to a serving platter an serve immediately, best eaten when it’s still warm.
- Serve with cold soft drinks and enjoy your creamy chicken a la King.
This delicious Chicken a la king is made with cooked chicken and a thickened sauce.