Last Updated on March 4, 2019 by Ed Joven
Asparagus with Bacon Risotto Recipe
Asparagus with Bacon Risotto Recipe is a class of Italian dishes of rice cooked in broth to a creamy consistency with Asparagus. The broth is chicken based added with Parmesan and Mozarella cheese, butter, and onion. Risotto is one of the most common ways of cooking rice in Italy. Risotto can be compared to our Filipino Lugaw but Risotto is more creamy in consistency and has a lot of ingredients added to it.
Properly cooked Risotto is rich and creamy but still with some resistance or bite: al dente, and with separate grains. Â Risotto can be made using many kinds of vegetable, meat, fish, seafood and legumes, and different types of wine and cheese may be used.
Asparagus Risotto Ingredients:
- 1/4 kilo Asparagus
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/2 half cup SPAM Luncheon Meat ( left over from breakfast you can substitute other meat)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 1/4 cup water)
- about 3 1/2 cups chicken stock (you can use 2 Chicken Broth cubes if you dont a have Chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 pcs Sliced Mozarella
- Salt and pepper
Asparagus Risotto Cooking Instructions:
- Wash the asparagus then break off and discard the tough ends, about the last inch of the Asparagus.
- Cut the Asparagus into 1 to 1 1/2-inch pieces (tips longer, base shorter). If your asparagus are especially large, cut into even smaller (bite-size) pieces.
- Bring a saucepan with a quart of water to a boil. Blanch the asparagus pieces for 2 minutes. At the end of two minutes, use a slotted spoon to remove the asparagus pieces to an ice water bath to shock the asparagus into a vibrant green color and to stop the cooking. Drain from the ice water bath and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat 2 Tbsp butter on medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for a few minutes until translucent. Add the rice and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring until nicely coated.
- While the shallots are cooking, bring the stock to a simmer in a saucepan.
- Now add the White wine. Slowly stirring the rice to allow it to absorb the wine. Once the wine is almost completely absorbed, add 1/2 cup of stock to the rice. Continue to stir until the liquid is almost completely absorbed, adding more stock in 1/2 cup increments. Stir often to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Continue cooking and stirring rice, adding a little bit of broth at a time, cooking and stirring until it is absorbed, until the rice is tender, but still firm ( al dente ) to the bite, about 15 to 20 minutes. Now add the Mushrooms and Spam Luncheon meat, mix it well together with the cooked rice then remove from heat.
- Gently stir in the Parmesan and Mozarella cheese, the remaining 1 teaspoon butter, and the asparagus. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- For the Asparagus with Bacon topping, wrap a piece of Bacon on each of the 4 Asparagus then sear on a frying pan. Once the bacon is golden brown place it on top of the Risotto.
- Serve while Hot.