Last Updated on November 1, 2018 by Ed Joven
How to make Agar Agar Fruit Cocktail Salad
Known to many as the vegetarian substitute to gelatin, Agar Agar is a seaweed variety that’s always been popular among food enthusiasts. You can buy it in the market as a flake or powder and can be used as an ingredient for custards, sauces, marshmallows, puddings, or, for this recipe, a salad.
The Agar Agar Fruit Cocktail Salad can be a wonderful appetizer or dessert for special occasions. If you are still undecided about what to serve for your Noche Buena this Christmas, then here’s a perfect idea. With just some milk, cream, and fruit cocktail among others, you can serve a tasty treat for your friends and family.
What’s great about this salad is that it’s really cost-effective plus quick and easy to prepare. On top of that, you can play around with it depending on your fruit of preference. So whether you want to have more pineapple, mango, or everything in between, this could be your go-to salad recipe for the holiday season.
Agar Agar Fruit Cocktail Salad by Filipino Recipes Portal:
Agar Agar Fruit Cocktail Salad Recipe
- 1 pack 130g Agar Dessert Mix
- 1 can 836g Fruit Cocktail, Chilled
- 6-8 Maraschino cherries for topping
- fresh fruits (optional)
- Cook Agar Dessert Mix according to package instructions. I’m using a “Lobo” product from Thailand and here’s the cooking direction. Empty the contents of this packet with 3 cups of water. If you want a little sweet add 2-4 tablespoon of sugar, to taste. Stir until the powder dissolved and bring to a full boil, while stirring constantly.
- Fire off, pour into a mold or shallow container and cool to set, you can refrigerate it to firm faster. Cut the cream into bite sized cubes and open the canned fruit cocktail. In a large bowl, combine agar cubes and fruit cocktail with syrup and mix very gently.
- Divide the agar and fruits into 6-8 dessert glasses with the syrup and top with cherry and serve. ( I highly suggest don’t mix cherries into your fruits otherwise it will stain the agar. Place them on top when you are ready to serve them. )
Agar Agar Fruit Cocktail Salad is a wonderful appetizer or dessert for special occasions.