How to cook Pancit Malabon
Pancit Malabon Recipe is a type of pancit that originated in Malabon City, Philippines. It has a yellow-orange color due to a sauce that includes patis (fish sauce) and bagoong (shrimp paste). Pancit Malabon toppings draw heavily from the fresh seafood that is available in the area and may include fresh shrimp, squid, oysters, and hard-boiled duck or hen eggs, as well as fried pork.
Traditionally, Pancit Malabon is served with on a round bamboo weave platter called bilao.
Pancit Malabon Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup vegetable or corn oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup diced tokwa or bean curd sold in Oriental food stores)
- 1/2 cup diced lean pork
- 1 cup shelled oysters
- 1 pound bihon or rice noodles (sold in Oriental food stores)
- 1/2 cup squid, cut into rings
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup finely minced onion
- 2 tablespoons anatto water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup shrimp juice
- 1/2 cup tokwa or bean curd, mashed
- 3 tablespoons patis or salt
- 1 cup pork cracklings, pounded to powder
- 1/2 cup smoked fish, finely flaked (or smoked oysters)
- 1/2 cup finely minced scallions
- lemon slices
Pancit Malabon Cooking Instructions:
- In a large skillet, heat oil and saute garlic till brown.
- Add bean curd, pork, oysters and squid.
- Set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook the sauce, using the leftover oil.
- Heat the oil.
- Saute garlic and onion.
- Cook till garlic is brown and onion is transparent.
- Add the anatto water.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the shrimp juice and add to the mixture.
- Add the bean curd and simmer over moderate heat until the mixture is thick.
- Season with patis (fish sauce) and pepper.
- Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Soak the noodles in hot water for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Drain and transfer to a platter.
- Pour the sauce on top.
- Garnish with pork cracklings, smoked fish flakes and scallions.
- Serve hot with lemon slices and patis or salt.
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Peanut Brittle Recipe >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>