Last Updated on
How to cook Tinolang Tahong
Tinolang Tahong Recipe (Mussels Soup) is a soup made with plump mussels steamed in ginger root, spinach and a bit of Onion. This is a simple Filipino way of cooking tahong or mussels.
Tahong or Mussels are an excellent source of vitamin B12 and selenium, which is an essential micro-nutrient. Vitamin B12 is important in the functioning of metabolism processes and a deficiency can cause fatigue and depression, as well as other symptoms. One hundred grams of mussels provides around 13% of your daily vitamin C needs and 22% of your daily iron needs. Tahong or Mussels are also good sources of other B vitamins (particularly folate), phosphorus, manganese and zinc.
Tinolang Tahong soup is great during rainy season and lactating mothers, also a very good source of omega-3 fatty acids and are considered an excellent seafood soup choice.
Tinolang Tahong Ingredients:
- 1 kilo tahong ( mussels )
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced into strips
- 1/2 head garlic, crushed
- 1 medium size onion, sliced
- 1 bundle kangkong tops, trimmed
- 3 pieces green sili
- Canola cooking oil
Tinolang Tahong Cooking Instructions:
- Wash mussels and place in a bowl, cover with water and let sit in for several hours to allow the mussels to expel dirt and discard water, wash and drain.
- In a pan saute garlic, ginger and onion. Pour 1 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Add mussels and allow water to boil once more and simmer until the shells start to open,
- Add in kangkong and green sili , simmer for another 2-3 minutes or until done.
- Serve hot.